Gateway relies on our passionate and caring volunteers to augment the services that we provide to domestic violence victims. We provide formal Gateway training classes for all volunteers. Here are some of the volunteer services that you can participate in:
- Assist with answering our 24-hour crisis line. This may include phone screenings of callers and routing calls to appropriate persons, staff and residents, as needed.
- Assist in conducting women’s intakes, assisting women in using/locating resources to meet their immediate needs.
- Assisting residents with various needs: getting medicine, driving them to appointments, gathering bus tokens, friendly visits and support etc.
- Assisting children services in facilitating/co-facilitating structured play groups either at or away from shelter while mothers are in counseling. Supervising or co-supervising children on field trips.
- Assisting and educating women who are subpoenaed to the Aurora Municipal Court due to domestic violence. This may include: offering and distributing support materials, accompanying women through their court proceedings as they need/request.
- Attending events, fairs, and public speaking (Speaker’s Bureau) to various community organizations. This may include picking up Gateway information prior to event as well as selling various Gateway items while at the booths and/or distributing information to participants.
- Assisting in fund-raising events, planning, gathering and organizing gift-giving for holiday events.
- Pick up and delivery of donated items (need to have own vehicle), moving and organizing donations within the shelter facility, writing notes of acknowledgment to donors, yard work, returning donation calls.
To volunteer, please complete the form below and we will be contacting you. Thank You!